Monday, June 7, 2010

Less than appreciated: Taste of Times Square

I usually like food festivals, but this Monday I was less than ecstatic to find Restaurant Row packed with the Taste of Times Square event.  I'm not a street food snob, but even to me it wasn't anything to get excited about (unlike the 9th Avenue Food Festival from a few weekends ago).  Times Square, uh, standbys such as Applebee's and SBARRO's had booths.

A good analogy to illustrate how I feel about this event would be
Taste of Times Square :: Food Festivals
astroturfing :: grassroots movements

Sure, I noticed Becco and Toloache were there, and I didn't get to stop for a bite but I'd bet those were good.  However the overall roster, location, and chosen time (a Monday afternoon) would suggest that Hell's Kitchen natives were not the intended audience.  Overall, I less than appreciated the surprise.
Kids, this is a learning opportunity.  Midtown West is not one uniform lump of a neighborhood.  The eastern border of Hell's Kitchen in the 40s, if you will, is 9th Avenue.  The Theater District / Times Square area shares a boundary with HK there, in the 40s.  Above 50th Street one could say HK extends to 8th, given the distance from actual Times Square and the lack of theaters up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment