Saturday, June 5, 2010

A big welcome to you, and you, and you (and me!)

In this inaugural post, I want to extend my warmest welcome to Balkanika, Zigolini's and Totto Ramen.  And to me!
Balkanika: A Mediterranean market/restaurant that opened the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.  I really like the selection of whole coffee beans up front (Sumatra, Ethiopia, Colombia!) and the Greek lasagna I had for dinner yesterday.

Balkanika is on 9th Ave between 47th and 48th.  I haven't found any listings with more information, so I will keep enjoying it while it's still a genuine neighborhood spot.



Zigolini's Pizza Bar: Pizza + alchie + outdoors = win.  Opened the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, but I haven't tried it yet.  If you live/work downtown, you might know them from the FiDi Zigolini's.

675A 9th Ave.
Manhattan, NY 10036
(212) 333-3900
www.pizzabarnyc.com





Totto Ramen: Opened during the week. I kind of want to try it, but think I'll wait for the weather to cool off a tad (sorry).  It's just: June. In NYC. Bar facing kitchen. Open doors in lieu of AC. Sauna. I could be lured in with chilled soba, but I didn't see it on the menu.

366 W 52nd St.
Manhattan, NY 10019
(212) 582-0052
www.tottoramen.com







These are just a few of the new restaurants.  Brickyard opened less than a month ago (I think),  around 52nd and 9th.  I spotted a new Moroccan place on 10th too.  Haven't forgotten them!

I moved to this neighborhood almost exactly a year ago, and it's been great seeing so many new businesses arrive.  We've also said au revoir to Dousoeur de Paris, which was the charming-est Parisian pastry shop ever, and maybe ahead of its time for this neighborhood.  Will not forget you either!

No comments:

Post a Comment